Our thoughts on the State of the Industry and our plans for 2022
As you might have heard, the paddling and outdoor industry is facing some challenges. On the one hand, business is better than ever. People are getting out on the water more now than ever and outdoor retailers have had record business. We have had more new customers visit the store than ever before!
But on the other hand issues arising from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic are creating supply issues globally. These issues have to do mostly with material, labor, and logistical shortages. Simple issues such as the ability to get one screw or color paint can halt the entire production line of a product that we purchase for you such as a raft or kayak paddle.
The one-two punch of high demand and stressed supply chains mean that the store often cannot get exactly what you want when you want it. We have had many of your favorite items on order since 2019 that simply haven't arrived and have no ETA.
WHAT IS OREGON PADDLE SPORTS DOING?
1. We have created the largest preseason order we have ever created for 2022! We took your suggestions last year and ordered what you asked for. We won't get it 100% right but we are excited about having the largest range of products we have ever stocked from new and existing brands.
2. We are getting our entire store online. Soon we will have most every item we sell on our website. That means you can check out what we have from the comfort of home or have it shipped directly to you! This will hopefully make your decision making process easier.
3. We are making more products ourselves! Our parent company, Whitewater Designs, produces rafting and boating equipment from the same location as our store. We are proud to produce some of the industry's best and award-winning equipment. We will have some exciting new products for 2022 we are going to produce in-house instead of purchasing from other vendors. This means we get to control the production and supply of these products plus treat our workers fairly and respectfully.
4. We are staying organized and prepared. We have streamlined systems in the store to make your experience better. From special orders, layaway's and rentals we have better systems to keep track of your business.
5. Next year we will have a renewed emphasis on Lessons, Sportsman Shows, Overnight Trips, and Demo Days. We miss you too! We agree the time is now to get get back on the water with our paddling community so we will have many different ways to paddle together and perhaps teach you a thing or two.
WHAT CAN WE DO AS A CUSTOMER?
1. Please be patient. Rest assured, we want to sell you that item just as much as you want to buy it. We are doing everything in our power to get you what you want and need.
2. Please be flexible. Please consider a different color or slightly different configuration. It's impossible to order everything every customer wants even under the best of circumstances, especially during a pandemic. In a normal year we are happy to make special orders but almost all of our vendors are not taking special orders at this time. What we have in stock or what we have ordered is what we have to sell. We appreciate you supporting a small business that pays a living wage.